Posts Tagged ‘Death

17
May
18

Our Obligation

God has rescued us from the darkness. He has saved us by His grace through faith in His Son, Jesus. He has promised to raise us back to life and has promised us that we will live with Him eternally. So how do we respond? Paul wrote:

Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. – Romans 8:12-13 (NIV)

Our obligation is to live lives of holiness and righteousness by submitting to the leadership of God’s Spirit. Instead of surrendering to our flesh and its desires, we are to live according to the Spirit of God. We are to put to death the sins and misdeeds of the flesh, otherwise we will spiritually die. We are called to do this because God gave His Son for us to rescue us from the darkness and has given us life.
Advertisements
15
May
18

The Spirit Gives Life

In Romans 8, the apostle Paul talks quite a bit about the difference between being controlled by the flesh and being controlled by the Spirit of Christ. He said that those who are governed by the flesh cannot please God and that they do not belong to Christ. He then contrasts that with the person filled with Christ. He wrote:

But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. – Romans 8:1​0​ (NIV)

We are all going to die a physical death someday. Those who are filled with Christ’s Spirit will be granted life. Why? Paul says that it is “…because of righteousness.” Is that our righteousness or Christ’s righteousness? It is because of Christ’s righteousness that is granted to us by His perfect life. Our righteousness is nothing compared to the righteousness of Jesus. When you trust Christ for forgiveness, you are covered by His righteousness and given eternal life.
10
May
18

What Governs Your Mind?

There is a battle between flesh and Spirit that rages in the minds of people. The apostle Paul wrote about the difference between a mind that is controlled by the flesh and a mind controlled by God’s Spirit. He said:

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. – Romans 8:6-7 (NIV)

When Paul writes about the mind, he is talking about our worldview and our thought patterns. Your worldview and thought patterns are controlled by one of two things – the flesh or God’s Spirit. The benefits of being under the Spirit’s control are eternal life and eternal peace. Do you want more peace in your life? Then you need to submit to God and His ways. The consequence of being controlled by the flesh is eternal death and separation from God. Paul says that a worldview that is controlled by the flesh is hostile to God and will not and cannot submit to God and His ways. The ways of the flesh and the ways of God are diametrically opposed to one another. You cannot be controlled by both. It’s one or the other. One way leads to death and the other to life. Surrender your life to Jesus and you’ll discover eternal life and peace.
12
Mar
18

Things Worth Remembering

Peter, as he wrote his second letter, had been made aware by the Lord that his time was running short. Peter would soon lose his life as a martyr. Before he would die, though, he wanted to remind those to whom he was writing of the important matters of the Gospel. He wrote:

I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. – 2 Peter 1:13-15 (NIV)

There are things that we have to remember and there are things worth remembering. The most important thing worth remembering is that Jesus loves us and He died for us and He rose again. These three facts can just about get us through anything we face. Whether it is persecution or pain, heartache or disease, loss of loved ones or loss of a job, these three facts are worth remembering. The love, death and resurrection of Jesus can change lives and give us hope and peace that just can’t be explained. So cling to these things because they are worth remembering.
09
Nov
17

Praying For One Another

One of the more difficult to understand passages of Scripture is in 1 John 5. John writes:

If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin,and there is sin that does not lead to death.

​ – 1 John 5:16-17 (NIV)​
So for whom and for what are we supposed to pray? We need to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ and that they will not persist in sin. We need to pray that we will all confess our sins and repent from them. Sin is serious as it says in verse 17. For the believer in Jesus, our sins are forgiven by God’s grace through faith expressed in Jesus. Though we all continue to sin, God is faithful to forgive. For those outside of Christ, their sins are not forgiven until they come to Jesus for forgiveness. They are on the path to destruction. Pray for them to come to Christ and pray for each other that we may continually walk in the light.
27
Sep
17

A Matter Of Life And Death

Love is life and hatred is death according to the Apostle John. He wrote:

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. – 1 John 3:14-15 (NIV)

John is calling for love in the church. If you look around your church family and you hate the people with whom you worship the Lord, you are guilty of murder, John says. How can you claim to love God and yet hate His people who are made in His image? How can you say you love Jesus and yet hate people for whom He died? Love is what is supposed to set the church apart! Love for God and love for people is what breathes life into the church. Do not let anger boil over into hatred. Deal with your anger before it leads to death.
19
Apr
17

Birth Versus Death

In James 1:13-15, we read about temptation and how it leads to sin, which leads to death. Our evil desires cause us to give in to temptation and we sin. Sin is what leads to spiritual death and separation from God. But God gives life. James wrote:

He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. – James 1:18 (NIV)

It is through God’s word of truth that we can have a new birth and a new life. No longer are we subject to death. We will all die a physical death, but spiritual death is not our reality. Instead, God chooses to save us by His grace through faith in Jesus. Instead of being afraid of death, we look forward to eternal life. Remember that you have been made new and are destined for eternal life. Praise be to God for this wonderful new birth!



%d bloggers like this: